Wednesday, December 24, 2008

If only I knew then...


Sometimes I can just kick myself. Today when I was going through some of my old car magazines I came across an old issue of Cars & Parts from 1973. In it I found an ad for a 1969 Ford Torino Talledaga for only $2500!!! Depending on the condition of the car now, these muscle cars can fetch anywhere up to $100,000. Oh boy, how many times have I said if I only knew then what I know now? I'm sure we have all said that a time our two in our lives when it comes to classic cars.

Named after the famous NASCAR raceway, The Ford Talladega was so hot in 1969 that after a long and successful career with Plymouth, NASCAR legend Richard Petty was enticed to drive the new Torino. This was a good choice because he captured the checkered flag in the Riverside 500 Grand National Race. The original price tag on the Talladega was a mere $3,680 and only a total of 754 of them were built. Your choice of colors for the Talladega was Royal Maroon (with White Stripes), Wimbledon White (with black stripes), and Presidential Blue (with White Stripes).

To comply with the standards set forth by NASCAR in order for the special modified bodies to be used on the tracks, Ford had to build a minimum of 500 of these specialized cars for the general public to purchase through dealerships. Ford sent the 1969 Fairlane Cobra 2 door hardtops to the Atlanta assembly plant and added longer front fenders that made the front end droop, the grill was moved forward and flush mounted and a special stamped header panel was added in front of the hood among other things. And the rest is history as these vehicles were shipped off to the affiliated dealers and sold.

A library of information about the Ford Torino Talladega and Ford Torino’s for sale can be found on Oldride.com and more information on the history of the Ford Talladega at How Stuff Works.

No comments:

Post a Comment